Today I am grateful for…
- Tropical thunderstorms that bring the gifts of God-inspired skies and rain-scented streets
- Family outings
- Soft lighting and the air of safety it creates
- Oh yes, and yellow rain boots, since it is nearly impossible to not be cheerful while wearing them
Is there anything you are grateful for today? Double rainbows, perhaps?
Earlier in September, I went to Chicago for Christian Community Development Association‘s national conference. It’s an association of people who are committed to developing under-resourced (= urban) communities, through the Church or the non-profit and social sectors.
I’d never been to Chicago (as an adult) – I was excited to explore and observe the city as much as I could in the limited time. The downtown area is really beautiful. It was pretty wild to stand on the ‘beach’ next to Lake Michigan, look over your shoulder and see skyscrapers just 50 yards away. The first question I ask in order to judge whether a city/location is livable is, “Does it have a large body of water for me to run next to?” YES! It may not be Sunset Cliffs, but the early morning sun shining on the boats anchored off shore was still ridiculously picturesque.
Buckingham fountain in Millennium Park
I’m pretty sure that Positivity and Empathy are ranked at the very bottom of my StrengthsFinder themes. But, lately I’ve been trying to think of ways to cultivate a more optimistic spirit. This month’s experiment: the gratitude short list. Here are highlights from the week thus far:
This week I am grateful for:
- The joy of celebrating loved ones’ victories
- Ending challenging days on a good note
- “Just because” flowers
- Chocolate & peanut butter chip cookies, of course
What are you grateful for today?